Monday, April 02, 2018

An easy yoke

I recently read a blog post that upset me. The writer had determined to focus on his faults, to be aware of them in order to be a better person. 'I should do this,' he wrote.

I would like to ban the word 'should'. Maybe that's a bit extreme; there are times when it is appropriate. But, I believe, not when we 're talking about living a Christian life.

Jesus tells us that his yoke is easy and his burden light. If that's true then 'should' and 'must' don't play a part. What I believe is that Jesus walks alongside us and helps us. He says, 'We can do this, you and me.'

He doesn't say, 'You're such a bad person. You've done that thing again. I despair of you. You must stop doing that. You should try harder.'

Yes, we need to be aware of our faults but to see them as Jesus does through a veil of love. He knows how weak we are. For goodness sake he made us with all the potential flaws, our selfishness, our egos. He knew that Peter would deny him three times but he still loved him and used him mightily.

I think all Jesus wants from us is to be aware of our failings and want to change. He can do the rest.

3 comments:

PipeTobacco said...

Hello Liz:

I am thinking this post may be about something you tried to send to me. I wanted to assure you that I (sadly) did not receive your comment. I wish I would have. I have always and will always post any comments you may offer me... because I value your opinions and advice.

PipeTobacco

Liz Hinds said...

Hi PT, yes, indeed. I hope you're feeling more upbeat and reassured that you are of worth and value just as you are.

PipeTobacco said...

Liz.... in regards to your post... I will have to look at my wording to see if I misspoke, but really the "should" and "must" statements I made were meant to represent how *I* personally feel I should be and how I should strive to be the better and kinder person I have the capacity to be if I would only try harder. I do not feel it is being thrust upon me by God or my faith... that was not what I meant to suggest. The film and its faith teachings reminded me that I can try a whole lot more to be a far better person than I try to be day-to-day.