Tuesday, February 06, 2018

Ginger free ginger cake

I was going to make ginger cake. Then I discovered I didn't have any ginger.

So I decided to make apple cake. Only to find I didn't have any apples either.

At that point it was, 'Shall I go back to bed?'

But I persevered and decided I would make ginger cake anyway. Younger Son crystallised some ginger for Christmas presents and while the ginger has all gone the gingery sugar was left so I used that. I shall let you know if it works.

Ginger-free cake topped with slightly gingery icing
(I've been to the shop)


Sometimes I go for ages just cooking the same old (boring) favourites; and sometimes I have a spree of trying new recipes. This week, for example, not only am I making ginger-less ginger cake but I've made rich venison and red wine pie (left) and tonight we're having braised beef short ribs. I've sort of followed a recipe but thrown in a few extras. The pie was good made with potato and celeriac mash topping instead of pastry - my diet you know - so we'll have to hope tonight's dinner is as successful.


Postscript: it was!

Beef short ribs braised in beer.
Not burned!

But the bits did give a lovely rich brown colour to the gravy.
Served with root veg mash, broccoli and sprouts.


3 comments:

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Root veg mash on top of cottage pie is yummy, too. Almost slimming, really.

Leslie: said...

That looks SO yummy!

Liz Hinds said...

It is definitely slimming, sonata! According to Slimming World!

It was actually, leslie.