Friday, November 20, 2015

The Collected Works of A.J.Fikry

A wonderful wonderful book about a book store owner, an orphaned child, a gentle policeman and an undeterred publisher's rep.

I noticed it in Waterstone's today and it appears the title has been changed to The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry. Whatever it's called it is an easy and beautiful read. *****

I gave up on Lady Chatterley's Lover. Didn't like the style or the characters so stopped. (Before reaching any naughty bits.)

But I did enjoy The Poet and the Private Eye by Rob Gittins. It's a fictional tale based on true events. An investigator is employed by a New York magazine to follow and find out the dirt on a visiting poet who has threatened to sue them because of what they've written about him. The poet is Dylan Thomas and the events that take place in the story all happened but have been condensed into one visit rather than the four original. Written from the investigator's perspective we're drawn into his crumbling private life as well. 

Again an easy read and enjoyable - although Thomas's behaviour is horrendous. ***

I took another two books back to the library today. One was a light murder mystery and the other ... I can't remember. It must have been really good. (Actually I'm sure it was; i wish I could remember.) (And if I could log in to my library account I'd find out but it won't let me.)


No comments: