Sunday, October 25, 2015

Important questions about life, the universe and flies

Are house flies just born big? I mean, you never see a small house fly. 

True you see some that are slightly smaller but none that you'd call babies. And now I think about it: how do flies reproduce? Eggs?

The little flies that you see around fruit are a different species, drosophila to be specific. We all know that because who hasn't sexed a drosophila in biology class?

And where do they go in winter?

My curiosity is aroused by the fact that our kitchen tap seems to have become a magnet for fruit flies. No, I don't understand it either. But I'm not that interested that I can be bothered to look it up.

2 comments:

Ole Phat Stu said...

In winter the flies are in their maggot or pupae stage to survive.
Life expectancy of the final fly stage is only 20-30 days.

Furtheron said...

Electrostatic electricity I'd imagine... the water in running in the pipe/tap is getting charged up - they can sense that and are interested in it.

Didn't look this up I just made it up - good theory ha! Now can we get a four year research grant to study it?