Thursday, August 09, 2012

Wehuganydog.com

There was a man with white spindly legs in the woods playing the Blue Danube on a mouth organ.

I would have taken a photo if I'd got close enough but on George's approach he panicked. Unfortunately 'Stay away from me! Go away! Stay away!' sounds much like, 'Do you want a treat?' to a dog like George.

It reminds me of the family we bumped into the other day. The mother threw herself in between George and her son, arms outstretched, as if to protect her child from a fierce monster. They should have seen him grazing on a grass or running away from a squirrel; he might not have looked so terrifying then.

I realise that some people have had bad experiences with dogs but it saddens me when parents instil a fear of dogs into their children. Granddaughter, on the other hand, could do with a bit of instilled fear. She will hug any dog. 

2 comments:

Nick said...

I don't know why people are so afraid of big dogs. They're usually more galumphing and licky than dangerous. As you say, I think parents instil fear where there really needn't be any.

Liz Hinds said...

An awareness is important but not fear.