Sunday, January 29, 2012

He lifts me up

A good all-round meeting in church this morning but the best bit was a moment we were given early on.


The words of the song we were about to sing were up on the screen and Rich, who was leading worship, suggested we pick one line or phrase that spoke to us and think about it quietly for 1 minute.


The line I chose went something like, 'when I fall down you lift me up.' Initially I though, 'Well, I fall down a a lot so I'm really glad you're there to lift me,' but then it struck me that in order to lift me God has to get down there with me. 


Just like Jesus bent down in the dirt to write on the floor when dealing with the woman caught in adultery so he gets down in the dirt with us, in amongst all our rubbish and crap. And when we're ready helps us get out.


And I'm so glad we don't have a God who keeps himself clean and at a distance. He doesn't just hold out a hand and wait for us to reach up and take it, he gets down, wipes our faces, tends out wounds and lifts us up.

9 comments:

Katney said...

Well thought!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Yes, nice thoughts. Not for the first time, I envy you your faith.

NitWit1 said...

Great post! We had a great service today, too. Some of the new songs this old lady is learning to love, too.

Then we had a "Together Sunday Potluck" followed by a wedding shower for a couple we have watched struggle, and fall in love amidst many hurdles, and they finally made to the "I do's."

We called it a "Honey Do shower" as tghey were not of the younger set.

Leslie: said...

Amen, Liz!

Ole Phat Stu said...

"And when we're ready helps us get out."

Sounds like Catholic contraception ;-)

MaryB said...

Amen, Liz.

elleeseymour said...

What an uplifting post.

gledwood said...

i fell down last week & broke 2 fingers ~ most inconvenient

i've opened a new blog at gledwood4.blogspot.com so no worries about malware there

hope ur ok take care :-)

Liz Hinds said...

Thank you all - except perhaps stu!