Sunday, September 11, 2011

He's leaving home, bye bye

Fiancée has found herself a part-time job in Paignton Zoo beginning tomorrow so today they packed up to go and stay temporarily with Daughter until they get the go-ahead to move into the apartment they found yesterday. And Younger Son will continue to look for work to support himself while starting his PhD in Plymouth.

So finally my baby is leaving home. When he's gone in the past it's been to university or to work abroad and he's always been coming back. This time it's different. He's starting a new life and this time next year we'll be in Italy getting ready for the wedding. When he comes home in future it will be to visit.

I hope all our children will always think of this as their home but second not first. It's a strange feeling but watching them - all of them - take the next exciting steps in their lives is satisfying too. It's all we really want I suppose, to see them happily settled with good partners and making their own lives. It's what we've brought them up to do and I hope given them a stable foundation from which to step.

But I'll still miss my baby!

6 comments:

jams o donnell said...

I'm sure they will always know where their home truly is. In one sense most of us never quite leave!

CherryPie said...

It all sounds very exciting. I am sure they will still think of it as their home.

Katney said...

Congratulations Liz and Mike. You've done your job and done it well.

Leslie: said...

I echo the sentiments here! At first I thought YS was going to be the passenger, but then realized you drive opposite to us. Every time I've been over there, I go to the right hand side to get in the car and John has to tell me "other side" and we always laugh.

Furtheron said...

I think we are heading for our first experience of this soon(ish) S-o-F has two more years at uni but is looking for a "research" post for the summer next year already... so won't be long and as you say he'll be just visiting and not "coming home"...

Rose said...

I understand the mixed feelings you have, Liz. On the one hand, I'm happy to have Youngest Daughter back home, but it's been an adjustment for both of us. She's looking for a job, too, so I know her stay here might be shorter than planned. You can feel proud, though, that you've given Younger Son a great foundation in life; I'm sure he'll always think of your home as home.

By the way, I never did get around to reviewing the movie of "The Help." It's not as good as the book, but then no movie ever is. But it's good and definitely worth seeing, if you haven't already.