Friday, January 21, 2011

Just a little rant

While putting off reading the letter from PayPal I read, instead, an evangelical Christian magazine. I probably shouldn't have done as it got off to a bad start with the Letters Page irritating me.

One letter complained about an article that had spoken of choosing the recipient of something or other by 'drawing names from a hat'; the writer of another letter objected to one of the adverts in the magazine saying that it came from a 'compromised ecumenical stable' (something vaguely Roman Catholic).

For goodness sake, do these people ever look around themselves and see the state of the world, of their community, of their neighbour? Have they nothing more serious to worry about than terminology and theology?

Rant over.

5 comments:

Rose said...

Just thinking--I wonder how many of these "Christians" participate in the sorts of things you do, Liz--helping out at Zac's and visiting the prisons, for example. I am irritated by fanatics of any kind, but especially ones who do nothing but complain and point fingers. They would do well to remember what Christian love is all about.

mrsnesbitt said...

Rose says it so well!

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

I love the certainty that drawing names from a hat will lead directly to gambling and debauchery .
When my mother was little and money was catastrophically tight , the Methodists gave little slide shows with lemonade and buns for local children , once a week .She longed to go but wasn't allowed to . She might have picked up a heretical idea .
Sad .

Furtheron said...

In answer to your two questions at the end of the post... NO! Simply - one of the reasons I avoid many religious types in my life I just can't align what I thought Christianity preached as it's ethos against how they act. It was the reason I never got confirmed - I had a bust up with one of the others in the class about the lesson with the Roman Soldier - you know the carry the pack 2 miles. He went on ranting about helping the enemy, quislings etc. The vicar was still happy to confirm him the next week. So I refused and that was the last time I was ever part of an organised church as such.

You are a shinning light Liz and I know others who actually do do what they say they stand for... it is however too often too rare.

Take solace that you look around the world, you see the problems and in your way you help out

Liz Hinds said...

I don't want to be a shining light! I mean I don't want to make it sound as if I am. I mean, oh you know!

It's just one small step from lemonade to debauchery, sonata. We've all discovered that at some point I'm sure!