Sunday, August 15, 2010

I was a very brave girl today

'Do you mind if my daughter watches? She wants to have hers done but wants to know if it hurts.'

I smiled reluctantly. 'Fine.' And inwardly cringed.

I was having my ears pierced - or rather re-pierced - and being watched was the last thing I wanted. It was bad enough sitting in the shop window. (The shop next door was advertising cheap piercings 'but not including genital or nipple piercing'; I really hope they don't do those in the shop window.)

But what do you know? It hardly hurt at all.

Now I have little gold balls in my ears. Except they're plated in something - rhodium or ridium or some such - and look like the little silver balls they used to put on cakes. I never understood why: you couldn't really eat them. Well, you could but they weren't very pleasurable. I'm just hoping my inner fattie doesn't wake up in the night and eat my earrings.

2 comments:

nick said...

Whenever I see a hoop earring, I'm always tempted to put my finger through it. No doubt a therapist could explain.

NitWit1 said...

I am one of very few, so few I may be rare, that does not have pierced ears.

When piercing became popular I was in a procession that had a phone glued to my ear most every day so why botther with one pieced ear?