Friday, May 07, 2010

Post-election blues

I made it until 2 am but then it was getting too depressing so gave up and went to bed. Only to get up to more depressing results.

At least Labour retained our seat but it was close; the LibDems were only 500 behind. They'd really targeted our area.We were receiving loads of bumpfh from them almost daily. Definitely daily if you count the emails I got, including several personal ones from Nick Clegg himself. I must be important, me!

I was trying to work out where they got my email address from. The only thing I can think of is a questionnaire they brought around several months ago, well before the election was called. I must have put my email on that. I didn't answer any of their questions just wrote in the comments: 'Please tell your canvassers to close gates! Our dog escaped because of you.'

And from that they thought I was a supporter?

They came again - and still didn't close the gate.

7 comments:

Furtheron said...

I think not learning the lessons of the past is a trait of far too many politians... :-)

Gledwood said...

I was up till nearly 5...

I tried Channel 4's alternative coverage but it was so annoying. Moderately witty "comediane" trying to outdo one another. Not fun.

So I gravitated to BBC1... massive deja vu. In other words. "Swing to the right!... Swing to the left! Lib Dems in! Lib Dems not in! Do we know anything? No!"

And lo and behold it's tomorrow night and we still haven't a bloody clue what's going on ... they say Gordon Brown simply will not relinquish his hold on power unless he is literally chucked out by a parliamentary no confidence motion (whatever that is)...

I wonder what the Queen has to say about it all? After all, she is the one presiding over all this. At times like this I am glad she's here... Cliche it might be, but she does provide a certain continuity...

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Wow it must of been interesting to keep you up til 2 am.... sorry Liz how bloody boring.

And he still won't disappear.. I just don't understand why we have to have a majority vote, yet on other things in the UK .. highest vote wins....

I hope for his sake he stands down and soon... !

nick said...

Not sure whether it's better to have a clear winning party that feels free to do all sorts of crazy things like invade Iraq, or whether the current prospect of some sort of coalition will produce a more sensible consensus. Time will tell.

The BBC experts said that if the negotations are going nowhere, the Queen will have to be "activated". The mind boggles.

Jay said...

Never give your email to anyone you don't know personally, if you don't want emails - or worse, spam!

Sorry they let George escape. I hope you got him back in one piece! I'd have been LIVID if someone had let Sid out.

NitWit1 said...

Tell George the canvasses, Yea or Nay, will not be staying: they go where he thinks he is escaping.

In my state we are approaching primary voting where candidate compete within their party to select a single candidate for each major party (2). Signs clutter the landscape everywhere. TV and Radio blare their ads continuously.

We baslically have similar parties but different names, conservative/liberal issues.

Since I seem to sit right in the middle, no one is interested in my vote or my opinion.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

It really uses to irritate me when they stuffed election leaflets in the letterbox without pushing them right through - all parties, I mean. Once I stuffed all the bumf right back in the Tory candidate's letterbox! I musr say I feel rather sorry for cute Nick Clegg - they are courting him but willstab him in the back as soon as they don't need him any more.