Wednesday, May 05, 2010

And then God turned up

It looked like it was going to be a 'lively' night in Zac's. It was crowded both inside and out and there was a buzz about the place. One table was occupied by what I guessed were rough sleepers who were joined by two women, Kate and Ruby who used to be a regular. She came up to me and said, 'I'm drunk - but I'm all right.'

'I don't envy you, Sean,' I thought as he tried to call the group to attention. 'Good luck with this one.'

And soon it kicked off.

I - and no doubt others - prayed quietly for peace, for those present to hear something of the message of Jesus, that we all need to hear so much.

Then God turned up in an unlikely disguise.

Kate spoke. Her words screamed honesty and rawness, hurt and loss, desperate struggle and pain. And victory, tiny and incomplete but a beginning.

In amongst the foul-mouthed arguments and the aggression God whispered, 'I came to bind the broken-hearted.'

Our God is awesome.

2 comments:

Leslie: said...

And so are you awesome by continuing to pray and be present for these unfortunate ones. Bless you. :)

Liz Hinds said...

I am privileged, leslie.