Friday, April 30, 2010

Down in Devon

The verges on the Devon lanes were filled with dandelions. I took a closer look at this one and realised they're really pretty. I've always thought of them as just weeds not looked at them properly. I know they spread like crazy and have horrid roots but they make a lovely show on the side of the road.Rose said they used to hold dandelions under their chin to see if they liked butter; we did that with buttercups. If you liked butter, you'd get a yellow reflection on your skin. Pretty impossible not to get a yellow reflection so it was probably a marketing ploy by dairy farmers.

While I was there I made some scones so we could have genuine Devonshire clotted cream, jam and strawberries.
And I can't post about a visit to Devon without a photo of Grand-Daughter. She's 5 months old now and is growing so fast! She had her first swimming lesson on Wednesday but she spent the time looking around rather than splashing. Born nosey. It runs in the family.

7 comments:

Leslie: said...

My gosh! 5 months already! Time passes far too quickly...we used to play that game with buttercups, too.

Furtheron said...

Those scones look scrumptous!

Gledwood said...

That dandelion looks uncommonly perfect... perhaps it is a designer version, put there to mark the Almighty's Spring Collection... quite unlike the dandelions of my childhood...


***Love the new dotty background by the way!***

CherryPie said...

I can almost taste those scones!

Liz Hinds said...

Just in the time we don't see her she grows more, leslie.

Thank you, furtheron.

It does look amazingly perfect, gledwood.

Come and visit, cherrypie!

Jay said...

Aw, look at that little face!

"Pretty impossible not to get a yellow reflection so it was probably a marketing ploy by dairy farmers"

Ha, yes! LOL!

Those scones look wonderful!

Rose said...

She just gets cuter and cuter!

Some homeowners here in the US spend a fortune on lawn care trying to get rid of dandelions, but I secretly think they are pretty, too, Liz. I much prefer these yellow blooms to all the other weeds I have:)