Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Two special women

There are two young women, both daughters of God Squad bikers, who come along to Zac's Place on a Tuesday night: Sam, in her twenties, has been coming for a while, and Lisa, just 19, has recently started attending. (In fact her first time was into the chaos that was last week's Zac's.)

They are incredibly mature and compassionate young women. I watch them dealing with the drunks and druggies and I am awed by their understanding and capability. They sit and listen to ramblings and they know how to respond.

I want to befriend the rough sleepers but I don't know what to say. I am too aware of the gap and afraid of saying 'the wrong thing'. Of being either too sympathetic and not straight enough, or being too blunt. When I'm in any social situation and I feel awkward I tend to make light of it, make a joke, and that isn't always the best thing to do.

I admire these young women so much.

4 comments:

NitWit1 said...

You seem to do very well in my opinion. When we get out of our comfort zone, our confidence diminishes, but often we do our best work.

I know I hate stepping out of my comfort zone into action where I must find my own way, step by step, word by word.

Furtheron said...

Special people.

However you are there - you make the cake etc. It all counts

Ole Phat Stu said...

Are you SURE those two are not the usual cross-dressing cage-fighters you have in Swansea? ;-)

Berni said...

I understand what you are saying completely. I would feel the same about not quite knowing what to say or do. I am a bit socially inept I think, my husband says I am a tad blunt and tactless, which was a great surprise to me I thought I was the sole of tact. I am sure these young women have been gifted to be able to talk to these people. Sometimes we who are not gifted have to fill a role though.