Sunday, August 02, 2009

In the beginning ...

was the kitchen.

We put this in shortly after we moved here so it's probably at least 20 years old. As I mentioned in an earlier post the need to replace it has become more urgent since the sink sprang a leak in the form of a large crack. A further incentive is the fact that today Husband moved the washing machine (see gap next to sink) outside to the little shed.

Last week I went kitchen-hunting and returned totally confused. Every kitchen I saw I thought, 'Oh, that's nice,' but I was leaning towards a distressed countryfied look complete with range cooker - very trendy - until I got home and saw Husband's face when I told him.

Today we went to a cooker shop and, what do you know, it sold kitchens as well. Husband and I almost simultaneously saw a kitchen we liked - and it was the same one! We had a good browse and asked about fitting and design and I was just about ready to say, 'Come and design one for us, please, pretty please, now!' when husband asked for a price list. 'We don't have a price list; we give you the price when we've designed the kitchen for you.' Or in other words, if you have to ask the price you can't afford it.

So it's back to the drawing-board.

As husband pointed out, most of the stores have basically the same thing so we can settle on a similar design elsewhere. Now all I have to do is persuade Husband that £1,300 isn't a ridiculous price to pay for a lime-green fridge.

This saga will run and run.

xx

3 comments:

Lia said...

Lime green teamed with pink is one of my favourite colour combos.

I don't think that the colour will be as shocking to your hubby as the price of the fridge will be.

May I boldly suggest that you work out how many years you have had your currant fridge, divide it by the amount of money you spent on it and then tell him that the currant fridge only cost x amount of £s per year you have had it and then do the same calculation for the lime green fridge and tell him how much it will cost over x amount of years, making it look a whole lot cheaper. So if the currant frige cost say £100 and you have had it 20yrs then it has cost you £5 per year, that makes it cheap..lol sorry am just feeling a bit mad tonight.
much love,
Lia xx

nick said...

Liz, have you thought of having your kitchen "refreshed" rather than completely redone, ie new cupboard doors, new tiles, new sink etc. That would be a lot cheaper than having the whole kitchen ripped out and replaced.

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

I have just renovated my kitchen. Mine was too 20 years OLD! I have not got a limegreen fridge but green tiles are pretty too! Titania-threemonkeys.