Saturday, July 11, 2009

Best before

I have never claimed to be the world's best housekeeper but even I was surprised, when spring-cleaning my pantry this afternoon, to discover a bottle 6 years past its Best Before date.

But it is anchovy sauce and I am of the belief that anything that contains vinegar will last for ever.

But why, you might ask, was I spring-cleaning my pantry on a beautiful July summer afternoon?

Because it was piddling down.

Our original plan was to walk to the promenade, just down the road, and watch the Red Arrows and other aviators do their stuff over the bay, as part of the Wales Airshow. We got as far as the prom, walked along the beach a little and found we couldn't even see the Guildhall, which at that point was about one mile away and is a fairly prominent feature of the Swansea landscape. So we came home again.

Or rather I danced home twirling the umbrella. I've always hated umbrellas but, you know, when you've got plenty of space they make a great accompaniment. I think I was born to be an umbrella-wielding pirouettist. Husband is of the opinion that Gene Kelly has a lot to answer for. He - Husband that is not Gene - and George walked as far away from me as they could.

The airshow is on again tomorrow. Let's home the clouds part long enough for a quick fly-past.

6 comments:

nick said...

Once when Jenny and I were staying in a house in Toronto we used some grated parmesan from the food cupboard. We later discovered it was several years past its best-by date but it tasted fine and we had no ill-effects. A lot of these best-by dates are nonsense, they're just profit-boosters for the supermarkets.

Liz Hinds said...

Yes, nick, there's a difference between Best Before and Use By, as I was reminded of my food hygiene course!

Leslie: said...

Hope the weather clears up soon so you can see the airplanes!

CherryPie said...

I girl I work with has a desk full of past its sell by date stuff, which she eats. People give it to her because she hates to throw anything away!

Dragonstar said...

Liz, you're off your brolly... I mean trolley!

Liz Hinds said...

It did, leslie.

It's probably fine most of the time, cherrypie, but I wouldn't want to be known as that person!

Just singing in the rain, dragonstar!