Thursday, June 04, 2009

Wednesday Writing ...

on Thursday. I wrote this about 8 years ago while on my creative writing MA course. I'd been reading a lot of Raymond Carver at the time! Reading it now I can see where I'd change it but I'll leave it in its original version for now.

Over the sea
The man had borrowed the truck from his neighbour who used it to take vegetables to market. His neighbour had washed it for him. ‘You’ll want it clean for today,’ he’d said.
The man drove to the girl’s house. She was waiting outside. She called out, ‘I’m going now,’ before she climbed into the passenger seat. A woman in a widows-black dress came to the door and watched the truck drive off.
In the truck the man said, ‘You okay?’
The girl nodded, not looking at him.
‘You don’t have to come, you know. You could wait at home with your grandmother.’
‘I want to come.’
They drove in silence. It was fifteen miles to the airport and the roads were rough and dusty. The last part of their journey took them down the hill overlooking the airport.
‘I remember the last time I came here,’ the girl said. ‘I thought things were going to be different then.’

Continued on the bits that are too long.
xx

5 comments:

James Higham said...

You could come with me if you wanted.’
She shrugged. ‘Maybe.’
‘He’s calling us out. Are you ready for this?’
She nodded. She put her hand into his and they walked silently into the suffocating heat.

Did they marry?

Liz Hinds said...

No.

Puss-in-Boots said...

I'm intrigued and can't wait for the rest of it.

NitWit1 said...

I love the "suspense" that holds us to the end. :~)

Chris said...

Hi Liz,

How can you have a blog called 'Finding life hard' when you live by the Gower??? LOL
Blog hopped and delighted to find a mad welsh woman with a great sense of humour but who can also write and write well! I must follow to find out the end!
As a welsh woman in Coventry I wish I was there.. born and bred in Porthcawl and here I am in a city that is so big you can get lost on the ring road before you get into the city!
I visit often but will never be able to live in Wales again, but perhaps I could get a caravan at Trecco and be there when the sun shines!
Chris