Monday, June 01, 2009

Tapioca anyone?

I was just listening to a radio programme about senior school dinners. Currently they have to comply with food standards i.e. shouldn't have too much fat and should have lots of fruit and veg; now they're trying to force nutrient standards on the dinner ladies too. That means each food has to be considered for its zinc value for example. No wonder the dinner ladies are in uproar. Few enough teenagers eat school dinners as it is: if what they are offered to eat is to be more strictly regulated what chance any takers? We all know how hard it is getting teenagers to pick the healthy option.

One of the young people in church is subjected to a fairly nutrient-strict regime at home; in Sunday club she will, given the chance, devour half a pack of chocolate biscuits without blinking.

I don't envy the task ahead for the dinner ladies.

5 comments:

Suburbia said...

I think my daughters school has by passed this piece of legislation! She is still eating Pizza and chips most days. I wish there was more healthy food for her to choose from.

Anonymous said...

I heard this prog too - couldn't believe how much interference was going on with the meals. I heard one perfectly good meal described and then how they wanted it changed re a bit less fat etc. Would only mean the kids wouldn't eat it at all when it wasn't too bad to begin with.
Wendy (Wales)

Furtheron said...

My daughter was on about something that if they buy food now they have to buy fruit or they won't be served... I wonder how long until the caretaker complains about emptying all the bins of the discarded and uneaten apples before that stops.

She was going to argue that Banana cake already has fruit in it therefore should be exempt

Liz Hinds said...

Would she choose it though, suburbia? At least you know she's getting good food at home.

Quite right, wendy. Was that the salad and garlic bread? They had to get rid of the garlic bread.

Your daughter should go into politics, furtheron. No, actually, she'd be too smart.

nick said...

As you say, it's all very well providing healthier meals but how many kids are prepared to eat them and risk being seen as nerds? I have to say I ate shedloads of so-called unhealthy food when I was a kid (biscuits, cakes, stodgy puddings, loads of salt, fat and sugar) and at 62 I'm still remarkably fit. Have the dieticians really got it right?