Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Not for me, thank you

Oh my, I just had a phone call and I honestly thought it was someone putting on a silly voice! It was a posh camp voice - a bit like Loyd Grossman (who isn't posh or camp) only not so harsh - and the instant he started speaking I began to laugh, thinking it must be someone I know trying to tease me.

I hope he didn't notice.

* * * * * * * * * *

After the disastrous red mullet on Saturday the waitress came round to take dessert orders.
'And what will you have, madam?'

The words 'sticky toffee pudding' were dancing on my tongue but suddenly I heard Devonshire Dumpling saying, 'Puddings make you fat!' I savoured the thought of the sticky toffee for a moment longer before I said, 'Just a pot of tea for me, please.'

Which was a wise decision as it turned out. Husband had the sticky toffee and he let me have a spoonful (he must have been feeling full as we're both normally very protective of our food - getting a chip off his plate is like breaking into Colditz) and it wasn't very nice at all. So my virtue was rewarded.

3 comments:

nick said...

One of our local takeaways has something called "Chocolate Lumpy Bumpy" which consists of moist chocolate sponge, chocolate mousse, cheesecake, chocolate ganache, nuts, chocolate chunks and chocolate fudge. I'm simply dying to try it, it sounds like the most self-indulgent dessert of all time.

Anonymous said...

I loved the bit about being protective of your food! That's just what I am like usually but my husband is very generous at sharing off his plate (especially when Dougal-dog fixes him with his special starving face).
Wendy (Wales)

Devonshire Dumpling said...

Puddings will make you fat Liz but ONE pudding won't add to the ballast at all.