Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Wednesday Writing

My mum died when I was nineteen but that wasn’t what did it.

My childless great-aunt who adored me and had wanted to adopt me (as my mum wasn’t married) was killed in the car crash we had on the way back from visiting my mum in hospital just before she died, but that wasn’t what did it.

My friend, the mother of four young children and aged just 39, died one Christmas Eve, but that wasn’t what did it either.

My closest cousin, in her forties, died believing God was going to heal her; I don’t know if that did it.


(Continued on my bits that are too long)

xx

5 comments:

MissKris said...

Beautiful, Liz. And I do understand where this is coming from.

Mauigirl said...

Very powerful.

Rose said...

Liz, this is just awesome! I usually don't take the time to go to "the bits that are too long"--sorry, now I wonder what all I have missed. But this beginning hooked me, and I was blown away by the powerful feelings of this poem. You have such a talent; never give up on your writing.

Sarah Lulu said...

Sending you much love and light and and understanding of that exact same space because I have also been there.
Beautiful poetry.

Liz Hinds said...

Thanks, kris, mauigirl, rose, sarah.