Thursday, April 09, 2009

Five minute chocolate cake

You might have received this recipe via email as it's been doing the rounds recently. After my rejection I needed cheering up and as I didn't have any chocolate I decided to have a go at this. (Even though I'm not that keen on ordinary choc cake.)

First, all the ingredients are mixed together in a half-pint mug.Then it's cooked in the microwave.

The finished product.

And turned out (and with a slice missing from the middle where Husband and I tasted it). It's more like a chocolate pudding and I think we'll eat it later with custard. The taste is okay but the texture is a bit rubbery.


But you ought to make it once just to see the magic as it turns into an instant cake! Here's the recipe as I received it. I have no idea who invented it so I can't give any credit!

5 MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE
4 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)
a small splash of vanilla extract
1 large coffee mug

Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well. Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Pour in the milk and oil and mix well. Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla extract, and mix again. Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts (high). The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed! Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired.
Postscript: Eat immediately after cooking as leaving it til later to eat with custard is a bad mistake! Very hard and inedible.


5 comments:

Gledwood said...

that recipe probably comes from America where they don't understand the meaning of sponge pudding!

tried my piri piri potatoes yet??

Suburbia said...

sounds fun!

Leslie: said...

Maybe if you just let it cool a bit and then add the custard, it'd be REALLY good!

jmb said...

Maybe whipped cream? Covers up a lot of misses in the dessert field.

Devonshire Dumpling said...

Sounds interesting! You want us all to mess up our microwaves too?