Tuesday, February 17, 2009

It all began when I said

'We ought to get the back yard paved and put some tubs and plants out there. Something to make it look better.'

In truth a bomb dropping on it would make it look better.

Husband immediately started coming up with bigger and wilder and more expensive ideas for extending the house outwards. And the days went by, and the months went by, and the years went by, and still the back yard looked a tip. In fact it got even worse now it was under a 'we can dump it here for now as we're going to be improving soon' curse.

This is what I see when I open the back door:

Not a pretty sight. So last night Wayne came to see us. I'd asked him to call and give us some ideas and a price for a conservatory-type utility room. There's no point having a proper conservatory because, as you can see, we have no view and not that much sunlight.

So Wayne looked and thought and said, 'Yes, we could do what you've suggested but what if ...' and he came up with idea of making it a little wider than we thought and creating a more useable room.

Now Husband has said that as I arranged for Wayne to come, I can make the decision. So do I opt for:

a) no extension but just paving stones and pots (which we can still have either way);

b) our original slim lined-up with the house extension;

c) Wayne's wider more room-sized idea?

I don't think the cost of the smaller one would be much less than the larger as all the basic work would still need to be done and it's not that much less material, but do we need what would be an extra room? Indeed, do we need a utility room at all? And if we do, do we go for how it looks or for usefulness? And if ... oh, I could go on and on. Flipping Wayne making it even more difficult.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, if you really don't need the extra room, and that's your only outside space, I'd go for paved and pots! There's nothing like taking a cuppa outside on a nice warm day and sitting among flowers and bees and so on! :)

Furtheron said...

Go large - you know you want to... :-)

Anna said...

Big room that gives you a bigger kitchen and then have a little utility room on one end. That's what I think.

Lindsay said...

I am surprised George has not "cleaned up" the back yard for you?

CherryPie said...

Decisions Decisions.

Suburbia said...

That's just typical isn't it?! Too many choices for me to contemplate, a or c seem reasonable though!!!!

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

If you don't need the room..I would go for Paved and Pots with huge plants...

If you do need the room ..Might as well go for the big room..depending how much it takes up..you could still have lots of pots along the back wall.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Well, in my ecxperience we expand our possessions to fill whatever space we have, so you might as well go with Wayne! Do post a pic of him - he sounds ever so "Wayneish" if you see what I mean.

Anonymous said...

We always need extra room whatever. It is as Welshcakes says - Parkinson's other Law.