Saturday, February 28, 2009

the adulterous woman

Tomorrow in chuch, Alun and Anna are looking at the story of the woman condemned to death for adultery, and Alun asked me if I'd read my monologue as part of the meeting. This is just the beginning of it; the rest is to be found on my bits that are too long.

I was condemned. Found and condemned with no chance to explain. No chance to explain that it wasn’t my fault. That I’d been forced into marrying an older man. A man who didn’t love me or want me for what I was. His only use for me was as a woman; I could have been any woman I meant so little to him. A trophy to be worn on his arm.

But that’s no excuse I know; excuses are meaningless.

I could say that I suspected he visited the local women of the night; that he rarely shared my bed; that he often came home smelling of sickly perfume, not the perfume I used; that other women looked down on me pityingly. I could say all of that.

But I said I wasn’t going to make excuses.

I was guilty. Guilty of the crime.How could I not be when they found me in the committing of it? When the door of my bedroom was kicked open and they burst in as I lay with my lover. I was guilty.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find your reflection to be an interesting way of looking at the story of the woman caught in adultery. But the fact of her guilt is not what I think of when I read or hear this event from Jesus' life. What I focus on more is the forgiveness aspect and also the admonition not to judge others.

One of the things I notice about human nature is our tendancy to feel self-righteous and be quick to condemn others for their actions. I think the main message of Jesus on this occasion was to constantly look to our own lives and seek forgiveness for our own shortcomings. The sins of others will be judged by The Father.

Jay said...

I see this from the other viewpoint to Tarheel Rambler. The fact of her guilt is central to the story - both because of the way it makes others react to her, and because of the way it makes her feel. If she were not guilty, this would be an entirely different story.

I think the message behind this story is dual: firstly, we do not have the right to condemn others unless we are entirely guilt-free ourselves (British judiciary system and Houses of Parliament please take note!) and secondly, it is necessary to see ourselves with a clear eye so that we can avoid repeating the same mistakes over and over again.

Like most of the parables, this one takes a lot of analysis, and can reveal new truths to us as we grown in experience.

Anonymous said...

Yes but 1 Timothy 2 : 11-12 ;-)

Liz Hinds said...

You're right, of course, stu. Women should be seen and not heard.