Thursday, January 22, 2009

All about Mair

Since you asked - well, you didn't but I know you want to know really - I'll tell you about Mair. I mentioned in a previous post that she'd come for a walk with George and me. In fact, when George and I go out, she nearly always comes with us these days.

Mair's about 20 and she comes from a small town in the Welsh valleys where she lives with her parents and her brother, Barry. She's currently unemployed. Although she's not the brightest star in the firmament, she has a kind heart.

She likes to wear either her denim mini-skirt or white jogging trousers with a shiny stripe up the side. Unless she's in Cardiff dressed up for a night on the town she only has a couple of gold chains round her neck. And if this was one of those forms when you have to list identifying marks, I'd say she has a winged heart tattoo on her left boob; you can just see it above her favourite black strappy t-shirt.

And yes, as you'll have guessed, Mair is a figment of my imagination.

On Saturday, 7th February, there's a talent evening in Linden. It's a fund-raising concert type thing featuring the best talent that Linden has to offer. And me.

I'm going to be 'performing' a monologue in the character of Mair. Normally I just read my monologues; I've only performed once before and that was in front of people I didn't know (after which I was asked if I'd be interested in doing an after-dinner performance at a rugby club; I said yes but they never got back to me ...) so doing it in front of all the people I work with and know from church is going to be a bit different. And stressful.

So that's why Mair comes for a walk with us: I have to learn my words. Fortunately there aren't many people on the tip as I march along, spouting forth. Just George. And he's heard it so many times he's lost interest.

And now I'm on a nearly-really serious diet to make sure I can fit into that mini-skirt on the night.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

is this why you needed the boots?


Bloggers - you should write a play about bloggers ;0)

Liz Hinds said...

Yes.

That's a good idea.

Unknown said...

Wow! That's exciting,Liz!. Is there any way that you can video tape Mair and share her with those of us way over here?

Blessings to you (and to Mair, too).

Alex says "Purrrrrr" to George.

Furtheron said...

Careful Liz - I've known people locked up for a long time for much less... :-)

Dragonstar said...

Lots of positive vibes winging your way Liz. Just pretend you're talking to George, it will be fine.

Liz Hinds said...

Yes, I'm planning on getting Husband to film me and I'll try to put it up somehow.

And they'll throw away the key, furtheron!

THanks, dragonstar!

Puss-in-Boots said...

Oh good luck, Liz. Actually you reminded me of an alter ego I had back in the 70s called "The Old Sheila". She performed one or two monologues around the place and then disappeared into obscurity.

Mean Mom said...

You're never too old for an imaginary friend. ;0)

That's a brave thing you're going to do on 7 Feb. Hope it goes well!

Anonymous said...

Oh wow..what an opportunity.. and scary too...Good luck....

Anonymous said...

Well, that all sounds like fun! Except the diet, that doesn't sound like fun at all! LOL!

Good luck with the performance - and the mini-skirt!

James Higham said...

And yes, as you'll have guessed, Mair is a figment of my imagination.

I'll certainly get my mind round this at some point. :)

Rose said...

Liz, the scope of your talents never ceases to amaze me! Wish I could be there to see and hear this monologue; hope you'll post a picture.

George is the best kind of critic--one who doesn't criticize:)

How's the thumb?

Oh, now I see Saintly Nick's suggestion--yes, yes, a video would be better1

XXYXX said...

I think the interesting question is, what does Mair say about Liz? I think you should give her a platform on this blog and let her tell her truth. You maybe surprised the things she knows about you!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I like the sound of Mair. Are you going to post a photo of you as her?