Tuesday, January 20, 2009

ABC Wednesday - A

So a new round of ABC Wednesday starts today (or strictly speaking, tomorrow). I decided I'd have a theme again and never being one to choose the easy option my new theme is quite complicated.

A few posts ago I wrote about dictionaries (which reminds me: Chambers never did reply to my email) and it reminded me of the old dictionaries that have sat on our bottom shelf for ever.

When I was a little girl, my mum was private secretary to the general manager of what was then South Wales Transport. One day she brought home from work, having been given them by someone who was clearing out, a pair of dictionaries. Webster's International Dictionaries, volumes I and II (although, unfortunately not Morocco-bound).

Today I tried to find out how old they are. The first couple of pages are missing but there is an 'Editor's Preface to the Edition of 1864' at the front so I would assume they could be about 140 years old. The pages are littered with lots of wonderful little illustrations, so I've decided to feature an illustration for the each week's letter followed by a relevant photo.

This first week, for the letter A, I've selected Aggregate.

(I did auto-correct on the dictionary photo to make it clearer and it's changed the colour of the page, which is really very yellow and aged.)

To join in with ABC Wednesday Round 4, go here.

xx

22 comments:

CherryPie said...

What a wonderful theme idea :-)

I think I am going to sit this round out... there is so much going on, I can't get my head round being creative!

Fotosekken said...

This is a clever one! Raspberrys, mmm...

EG CameraGirl said...

Interesting theme idea, Liz. It'll be interesting to see how you do with it.

Mmmm. A fresh raspberry would sure taste good right now.

Anonymous said...

I think you had a great idea.
We'll see next week what your choice will be!
Have a great week

Jane Hards Photography said...

You brave woman. You don't go for the soft option do you. Clever choice. Look forward to the weeks to come.

Carol said...

Nice photos...I love the old dictionaries...you have a great theme! I look forward to seeing more...

Anonymous said...

Very nice! If it wasn't your definition, I would think "aggregate" is a verb word and the photo is a raspberry. Thank you for the information.

My "A" photos are posted here and here. Please hop on by if you have time. Happy Wednesday!

Anonymous said...

Very clever..I hadn't thought of doing a theme..love the word too...

Rose said...

Your dictionary might be a collectible--I love old books with yellowed pages! Great idea for a theme; I'm afraid I'm too scatterbrained to stick to one theme for the whole alphabet. Those raspberries look delicious!

Anonymous said...

I like the explanation in the book, using everyday words like 'florets' and 'involucre' .

Excuse me, whilst I go look them up;-)

Leslie: said...

What a great idea for a theme! I did manage to do a post, but made it related to my recovery since everyone's waiting for updates. Can't sit up for long - still - but pray God the pain will ease one of these days!

Reader Wil said...

That's a great idea, Liz! Very ingenious!

photowannabe said...

Great idea for your theme. I may even learn a few new words and what they mean along the way.

spacedlaw said...

Hey, I have learned something about my raspberries! Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Ah, a dictionary theme! Excellent!!

I love old books and I love dictionaries - you were so lucky to be given those.

I had a raspberry trifle last night. Mmmmm!

Unknown said...

I love your idea : ). Very creative. The fruit looks pretty.

Rune Eide said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rune Eide said...

No raspberry from me on that one - a great idea!

Trubes said...

Hello Liz:
How wonderful to own such an old and interesting dictionary...I have two very ancient French Language Dictionaries that I love to peruse from time to time.
Would love a Webster's too! I'm tempted to start surfing to see if I can get hold of one!

How's George doing, is he responding to his Therapist?...More George news please.

We've had a new addition to our family which you can read all about on my recent post!

Di.xx

Dragonstar said...

That's a fascinating idea Liz! Some new words this round, I hope. At least you should have a (fairly manageable) contribution for each week!

Rinkly Rimes said...

I've never heard of an aggregate fruit! Have you any recipes?

Tumblewords: said...

A terrific theme!