Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The uncommon reader

Younger Son just asked me what I was doing today; I told him I was writing.
'Oh,' he said. 'I thought you must be going out as you've showered.'
What kind of impression do my children have of me?!
* * * * * * * * * *
I've just read The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett. It was a birthday gift from Husband, and it only took me two nights's bedtime reading to finish it.
As you may gather from that, it's not an epic, but it is a delightful short novel. It considers what might happen if the Queen suddenly discovered the joy of reading for pleasure. I don't how if HM reads for pleasure much now; I assume Mr Bennett had some foundation for his premise that the only reading she does is out of duty. And that probably mounts up, leaving not much time or inclination for anything else.
But in this novel, the Queen comes across a mobile library in the grounds of Buckingham Palace and out of politeness she borrows a book, and the rest of the story leads on from there.
The point is also made that reading and writing can have life-changing - and even world-changing? - implications.
Highly recommended.

5 comments:

James Higham said...

Possibly a fair inference, given past habits, Liz.

James Higham said...

I mean that younger son probably judged on what he'd seen before.

Liz Hinds said...

That's what worries me, james!

Leslie: said...

Sounds like a good read. I'll check it out. :D

Mean Mom said...

That sounds original. My husband and I are always reading something and have a couple of bookcases full of books. Much to our disappointment only our eldest son enjoys reading. How could this happen?

Books are so informative. They also reinforce the spelling of words and grammar - unless they're american, of course - then, they're just misleading!