Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Fathers and sisters

I have a half-sister and she doesn't want to meet me. Why not?

I am suddenly feeling annoyed. Why should it be her decision? Don't I have a say? Of course I do. But she's entirely within her rights to not want to meet me, I know that. But it's annoying.

I only found out about her a few years ago - as she did about me. She is the only child of my father and his wife; I am the child he didn't want to know.

He married his wife some time after he'd fathered me and left my mother (they weren't married). So my half-sister is about 10 years younger than I am.

I suppose I'm thinking of this now after Father's Day. A few years ago I was asked to write something for the Sunday morning service on Father's Day. Was I the right person to ask? Last year I published on my blog the words I wrote but I'll republish them on my other blog if anyone wants to read them. They begin:

I can call him Lord, God, faithful one, saviour, creator, anything, except Father. I can’t call him that.
xx

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can understand your annoynce (sp) because I would want to meet. Does she not give any explaination? Maybe in time she'll change her mind.

My Dad died almost 11 years ago and I feel cheated that he died just when i was getting to know him as a person not just my Dad! I feel for my kids who never knew the brilliant, funny wonderful Grandad they deserve. but I do have some amazing memories of him.

Thursday is yet another anniversary and I have a stash of chocolate and tissues ready :0(

Anonymous said...

I also have a half sibling that I have never met. I have never tried to find him, but I know that he is about 10 years older than me.

One day, I may try and find him but right now I am scared that he wouldn't want to meet me.

I am so sorry you were the child your father rejected. How hurtful, sad, confusing for a child.

{{{Liz}}}

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

This is a sad story...maybe she will come round one day. I never know why they don;t want to meet. Hopefully one day you will get an explaination.

I lost my father when I was 10 and he was only 40, still think of him alot and what he would be like as a grandfather and what he would be like with me...

Suburbia said...

It's hard to understand why she doesn't want to meet. How frustrating, perhaps she'll change her mind in time, I hope so, for your sake.

Anonymous said...

I have been been reading your blog for ages now. It gives me so much pleasure and you never disappoint as you are always there when I visit. It is a pity that your half sister cannot read your blog because she would be so proud of you and would surely wish to become part of your life and family. As an only child I can say that I would love to be your sister.
Wendy (Wales)

Elsie said...

She simply has no idea what she's missing.

Liz Hinds said...

ah, it's Thursday as I write this, hippy mama, so I'll pop over to your blog.

hullaballoo, you don't want to do it until you know the time is right. I hope your story will have a hapy ending.

anne, my mum died when I was 18 and even then I didn't really know her. It's sad that you were robbed of a dad like that too.

suburbia, I mean: I could understand her not wanting to know me if she'd met me!! :)

Wendy, thank you so much for your generous and lovely words. Thank you. x

elsie, someone who tucks her trousers into her knickers you mean?! :)

Anonymous said...

I overheard a conversation that I had a half sibling when I was in my teens - I am now roughly your age in my late 50s hailing from South Wales. I must say I didn't do anything to contact her. Out of the blue I received an e-mail from her through Genes Reunited and we met up within a few months. That was one year ago and we are in regular contact and will meet again this autumn. I cannot explain very well how I feel - loves grows and at present I have more love for other people that I have known far longer than her - so what I am trying to say is please don't take it to heart what will be will be.