Thursday, April 24, 2008

George has aspirations

I have come to the conclusion that George secretly thinks he could do better than us as a family. He thinks there must be someone out there who would love him devotedly and adoringly and be his slave. If only he knew: this is as good as it gets.

But working from that premise, I can understand why he has to go and see (inspect) people when we're out or visit neighbour's gardens.

At least we've met the neighbours through his escapades. I was retrieving him this morning from the house next door but four. The owner is American, it turns out, and they have a terrier. 'Once you've had a terrier, you never want another sort of dog. They're so lovable,' he said. 'My father, my sister and all my family have golden retrievers and they're such stoopid dogs. They're hairy and they slobber.'

There wasn't much I could say to that. I suppose I could have pointed out that, while we'd been talking, his terrier, which is about half George's size, kept pinning him down and snarling and snapping. Okay, he was defending his territory but retrievers don't do that. I could have said retrievers are friendly. And lovable.

But it could be that I'll have to apologise some time in the future because George has eaten their rubbish, pooped on their lawn or dug up their plants, so I felt it wise not to cast any nasturtiums. Once cast they can never be conquered.

I'll bide my time until George is perfectly trained.

(Don't you dare laugh! He will be.)
xx

14 comments:

Suburbia said...

I hope he does Poop on their lawn! Golen Retrievers are much better than Terriers!!

mdmhvonpa said...

Nice Rock Roses!

jmb said...

I think you need to change the name of this blog to George and Liz, since G is obviously the star.

Well until you get to be alpha dog he seems to be in charge and equipped with a heavy destructive bent.

I am a terrier person, 3 out of 4 of my dogs have been terriers but they are mighty wild when young and just as destructive. Being smaller they can't reach so high so that's a blessing.

He will be perfectly trained! Or you will be.

Gledwood said...

I want to get a giant mastiff. But only so I can snap my fingers and she sits down perfectly behaved (doesn't it look impressive to have a wild and savage dog do this?!?). I would never get a male of any savage breed especially rottweiler. Aparently 95% of all dog attacks are done by males and the other 5% are almost exclusively by pregnant females...

david mcmahon said...

Casting nasturtiums - brilliant, Liz.

Thanks for the visit and in reply to your comment -- no, I didn't get into trouble, so I guess that says a lot about my enlightened parents.

Laura Jane Williams said...

I must say, westies are the only way to go I'm afraid...!

Daryl said...

I apologize for your silly American neighbor .. clearly he forgets that terriers can be nasty .. and I have great faith in George...

Leslie: said...

Well, in my humble opinion you can't go wrong with a boxer. I've had 3 and they were all loving and gentle, especially with the kids. All were female, too. The only 2 male dogs we had were 2 cocker spaniels and it's too bad I didn't learn my lesson the first time around. Nasty and BIT people! The bigger the dog, usually, the more gentle they are. Of course, it all depends on the "master" or "mistress" too. I'm sure George is just still in his puppyhood and will calm down with age. As long as he doesn't become aggressive, he'll be fine.

Leslie: said...

Oh by the way, Liz, I had to laugh at your comment on my latest post. In case you don't go back to see it again, this was my response:

If it's rockin'
Don't come knockin'


I killed myself laughing at the picture that came to mind! :D

Rose said...

I don't think George is unhappy with your home; I think he is just being very social and trying to meet all the neighbors. I, too, apologize for the pompous-sounding American. Perhaps George could leave them a present (on their lawn).

Neva said...

OK, Clancy and George need to meet! oops....but the destruction could be mind boggling! CLancy is our 17 month old Black lab and let me tell you.....he is giving us a run for our money...the stories are endless...there is not a counter he can't cruise, a trash can he can't turn over....we have been in obedience school since he was 8 weeks old.....must be working on his PhD but personally, he hasn't passed kindergarten yet!!!!but we love him and he IS getting better.......really.

Liz Hinds said...

I fear you are getting a bad impression of George! He is really very lovely and gentle, but with that retriever streak of stubbornness.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I know exactly what you mean! You have to be careful what you say when you have a dog! Of course he will be.... just like Simi !!!

James Higham said...

I'll bide my time until George is perfectly trained.

(Don't you dare laugh! He will be.)

Hope and faith - they're the main things, Liz. :)