Tuesday, April 29, 2008

sweets - non-fattening - for my sweet

All morning I've been dithering over whether to hang out the washing. It's grey and cloudy but windy. I finally decided I would and I hadn't even finishing pegging it on the line before the rain started.

* * * * * * * * * *

Is it possible to overdose on bananas? My Slimming World diet encourages us to eat fruit of all sorts and I do, but bananas are so easy to eat and have just that nice bit of sweetness to them.

Which reminds me of a programme on radio 4 last night. Apparently, 30 years ago, a company was on the verge of bringing out a new natural sweetener (made from miracle berries) but they were stopped at the very last moment and in an unorthodox fashion by the US Food and Drug Administration. It was suspicious and looked very much like the FDA had been got at by the sugar/artificial sweetener industry. Today another scientist is working on developing it and he is hopeful that such a conspiracy couldn't happen now. But the industry has just as much, if not more, to lose today than it did then.

You can listen to the programme here.

* * * * * * * * * *

I filmed George eating the wire mesh fence this morning. Elder Son said, 'Did you not think that stopping him might have been a better idea?'

'It was more fun filming him. And he didn't actually eat any wire.'

* * * * * * * * * *

Yesterday in work Chris was reading poetry to me. It's not everyday that someone reads poetry to me. Particularly when I'm in work.

* * * * * * * * * *

Ah, what a little angel.


3 comments:

Suburbia said...

He is soooo beautiful. I would have filmed him too!!!! (instead of stopping him I mean.)

MissKris said...

I don't know about overdosing on bananas, but I do know you can eat too many carrots. Many moons ago when I was young and a new Weight Watchers member, there was a woman who was quite...large...and she'd been snacking on carrots. Lots and LOTS of carrots. To the point where her skin was beginning to turn a bit...orangey! But she'd dropped a huge amount of weight in her first couple weeks. Our lecturer told her to cut back on the carrots...it was excess water weight she'd been losing, not the carrots, that was the culprit.

Anonymous said...

Poetry eh?

Was it Cope (http://home.egge.net/~savory//cope.htm)

Or was it Joseph (http://home.egge.net/~savory//joseph.htm)

Or was it Larkin (http://home.egge.net/~savory//larkin.htm)

Or even McGough (http://home.egge.net/~savory//mcgough.htm) ?

But knowing you, it was more likely this one from Anon :-
http://home.egge.net/~savory//dogpoem.htm