Thursday, March 13, 2008

The Persian Pickle Club

Last night I finished reading The Persian Pickle Club by Sandra Dallas. It's a book I picked up for 50p from the secondhand stall at the community cafe. I didn't have my glasses on when I was choosing books and could just make out that this was something to do with living with depression in Kansas.

It's actually about a group of quilting women in Depression-era Kansas. It's about friendship and what women will do for each other. And it's a lovely read, improving as it goes along, with a marvellous ending.

I'd never heard of the author before - the book itself is an American edition (and signed by the author) - but she appears to have written a number of best-sellers. I'll look out for more.

By the way, Persian Pickle is another name for the paisley pattern.

xx

6 comments:

CherryPie said...

Sounds like it might be a good read for a book group!

Leslie: said...

Sounds good. My friend Josie just recommended a good movie to see. It's British and called "Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont." I'll watch it after my student goes home.

MissKris said...

I'm always on the lookout for good books. As soon as I'm done catching up here, I'm going to our local library site and put it on reserve.

MissKris said...

Oh, forgot to add I'm a big Joanna Trollope fan. Have you ever read any of her books? I LOVED "The Rector's Wife" and enjoyed the mini-series made out of it, too. Do you have any UK writers you particularly enjoy? I run out of stuff on this side of the pond at times and love to try new stuff. Other UK favorites are Maeve Binchy and Rosamunde Pilcher. I went thru a big Catherine Cookson 'binge' back in the 80s and read every book I could find written by her, which were quite a few, ha!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Would like to read that!

Liz Hinds said...

I think it would make a good book group read, cherrypie.

Never heard of that film, leslie.

I'll email you, kris.

Yes, welshcakes, it's a pleasant read.