Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Church for ragamuffins

Zac's Place is sub-titled church for ragamuffins. That name comes from a book, The Ragamuffin Gospel by Brennan Manning. Sean explained that last night as there were a few new-comers at Zac's.

When Sean asked for a volunteer to read some Bible verses, Mary, a rough sleeper, spoke up, 'I'll do if you want a ragamuffin.' She stumbled over the words and left out bits. A coughing fit stopped her halfway through and Jimmy, another rough sleeper, offered to take over. He struggled especially when it came to Caiaphas. Mary shouted out encouragement to him. They were far from flawless and they were perfect.

These are the ragamuffins Jesus came for. Whether we live on the streets or in a detached house in a posh area of town, we are the ragamuffins. It's so simple. This is what Jesus is about. He is absolutely not the Jesus that is preached in some places; he is absolutely not the Jesus in whose name terrible things are said and done. (I was shouting this out as I hoovered and contemplated.) It's so simple it's impossibly difficult for some of us. If we could just remember what the real Jesus is about, our lives and the world would be transformed. If I could just remember.

At the end we had communion. Usually bread and grape juice is left out for anyone who wants it but, for a change, we passed it round. It was an incredibly moving experience.

Now just in case you think I'm getting all pious and holy, I'll add that, yes, I did check out who'd be drinking the wine before me and was happy that they would all have washed reasonably recently. Look, you can't have a childhood with a granny like mine, banging on about germs and hygiene, without thinking these things. I'm not perfect but I will be when I'm in heaven.
xx

5 comments:

Leslie: said...

AMEN!

CherryPie said...

Lovely :-)

Anonymous said...

Who says an old dog cannot learn a new trick? Well, at least a new term. I have never before heard the term "rough sleeper". So I googled it and learned all about it. Thanks for the education...

Liz Hinds said...

A pleasure, winston. It is a peculiarly British term then?

Unknown said...

Wonderful post Liz...about a marvelous church. Thank you.