Monday, March 10, 2008

Balmoral?

When I was growing up, legend had it that the building in the centre of the photo (on Langland Bay) was a replica of Balmoral Castle. I've googled it today and the only connection I can find is that it was built in the Scottish baronial style as a summer residence for the Crawshay family, ironmasters of Merthyr Tydfil.
It was bought in the 1920s by the Club and Institute Union (CIU) and was used, until 2004, as a convalescent home providing subsidised breaks for steelworkers, miners and members of other workingmen's clubs.

It is currently being converted into 27 luxury apartments.
Well, it is quite similar ... although I was probably told it by the same great-auntie who told me that Mumbles Pier could support the Queen Mary liner.

2 comments:

CherryPie said...

It does indeed look very similar, a bit of Scotland in Wales!!

Leslie: said...

How much are the condos are going for! I googled the area and ohmigosh! I want to live there! Right on a beach overlooking the water would be luxurious.