Saturday, February 23, 2008

Who's old?

Yesterday while walking George I was pondering on what I hadn't done. For instance, I never became a librarian. Not that I wanted to at the time, but I made a series of bad decisions education/career-wise. It turned out fine as it happened as I met Husband and became what I really wanted to be: a wife and mum. But I took the wrong paths.

So that set me thinking about being a librarian. I love books and reading. Or a research assistant to someone clever; I like doing research. And I was vaguely thinking, 'Well, I could do something about it now. I could do a course on libraries, or look for a post doing something like that.' But then I thought, 'Hang on a mo: you're 55. You're too old for anyone to employ you.'

Now let me explain: I don't actually want a job. My brain was just meandering as it does when I'm out walking, when it came to this sudden halt as the reality of my age hit me. People younger than me are taking early retirement; Husband is eagerly anticipating his retirement in the next few years. Things should be slowing down but I'M NOT READY! I'm too young to be 55!!!

Most of the time I don't think about it; it's just every now and again that I realise or am forced to recognise that I am 'not as young as I was, dearie.'

Pah, nonsense, I am too. Last night there were only two of us in circuit training: me and a 16-year-old boy. And did I keep up? Of course I did.

And tomorrow, when we go to the rugby - did I tell you Husband and I are off to the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff to watch Wales play Italy? - I'm going to have a dragon painted on my cheek. Watch this space!
x

4 comments:

Leslie: said...

I'm going to watch the crowd and see if I can spot you! I watched the Rome/Madrid game on Wed. and the Arsenal/Milan team on Thurs. Both games were so exciting!

And "WE'RE" not too old, but I can relate to your thoughts. I, too, sometimes think that "if I were to do it all over again..." sort of stuff. But why take further education when no one would employ me? So let's do what we want to do just for the sheer enjoyment of it.

MissKris said...

Ha! I wrote a blog entry today about rnndom thoughts while out walking Chloe. Aging was part of mine, too. Funny, the thoughts that come while out walking a pooch, isn't it?

Unknown said...

I’m of the opinion that one should “slow down” based upon desire and not the calendar. “I’m too old to do that” are some of the saddest words I can hear a person say.

-eve- said...

Wow, I'd never have guessed ...! 'Cos most people on the blogs are 'older', so was surprised to see your pic *you don't look 55, I can assure you* Your hubby must be very happy! :-)