Thursday, January 03, 2008

The wrong moment

George chose the wrong moment to take a friendly nip at husband's ankle; Husband was studying the Christmas credit card bill at the time.

It seemed prudent for both George and me to leave the house for a while so we went for a walk over the tip.

On unfamiliar territory George keeps very close to my heels. What's that? Oh I see. George says he is the rear guard, making sure no-one creeps up on us from behind. My hero.

I know it won't be long, however, before I am screaming at him, 'George, come back here!' as he disappears into the distance and these walks, with a dog at my side, are nothing more than a fond memory.

George hasn't yet learned the rules of dogiquette. He hasn't learned that he's not supposed to jump up at other dog-walkers even if he has sniffed out doggy treats in their pockets. Especially if the dog being walked is a fully-grown female Rottweiler who would have squashed George had she sat upon him.

Even though he's getting braver on his walks George still has his little moment, just outside the back gate, where he sits down and says, 'No, I don't think I'll come out with you today, thank you.'

xx

9 comments:

mdmhvonpa said...

With age, comes wisdom and realization of limits. Time.

Leslie: said...

He sure is growing fast! And he's so cute it's hard to get cross with him.

stefndawniy said...

oh he's gorgeous :o)

James Higham said...

Lovely to see the update.

DeeJay said...

I love the way you bring these photos alive with your narrative

MaryB said...

Every time you write about George, I keep hearing dear Joyce Grenfell in my head. George, don't do that. The infinite number of inflections for that one phrase sends me into fits of giggles.

At any rate, your George seems lovely, bless him.

Mauigirl said...

George continues to be adorable!

jmb said...

Ah, this is something to gladden my heart today.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Oh, he is just so pretty! Simi sends cuddles!