Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Two different presents

Father Christmas was good to me again this year with a lovely big haul of goodies, and there are two that were a little different that i want to mention specially.

First up, a sheep from Younger Son.

Not as a rival to George but as a lifeline to a farmer in Ethiopia. Sheep not only provide nutrients from their milk and meat, their poo is excellent for reviving degraded soil so the land, in turn, becomes more productive. I was thrilled with this present and am calling my sheep Trixie. Younger Son tells me I cannot write to her personally nor expect letters from her but I can keep her photo on my wall. I think she has a rather intelligent face, don't you? (Younger Son is now trying to tell me that the photo I have isn't necessarily of Trixie but I already feel a bond with her.)The second present I want to mention was hand-made by Shirl (who used to blog under Happiness, Heartache and Hope) and is a concertina-ed scrapbook all about Harvey! It's a very personal and thoughtful gift, and must have involved a tremendous amount of work for Shirl, who has been through - and continues to endure - more than her fair share of difficulties, particularly in the last few months with not only her own condition but Pete's illness and the news of her dad's cancer too. Knowing how much of her precious time - time when she could have been resting or doing something necessary - it must have taken makes it even more special. Thank you very much, Shirl!

xx

5 comments:

Leslie: said...

What a great present from your son and what a wonderful friend you have in Shirl. Yes, it must have taken her ages to do that and it shows how much she cares about you!

Anonymous said...

Both those are thoughtful gifts :0)

Anonymous said...

Believe me, dear Liz, there was much more personal pleasure gained from compiling that little gift than any time or energy spent - as you know, I love this craft lark. You have been there for me for about 8 years now! I'm not blogging and I do miss our email exchanges.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Trixie is a fine name for a shhep and yes, she does look intelligent. What a thoughtful gift from Shirl.

Liz Hinds said...

Leslie, Amanda, Welshcakes, thank you for commenting.

Shirl, I will email you later, when I've walked George! Assuming we don't get blown away in this wind!