Monday, January 14, 2008

Cynical? Moi?


I was tidying my desk today when I found this book. I have no idea how it got onto my desk. There is nothing about it that is familiar.

I asked Husband if it belonged to him. 'No. You probably bought it in a charity shop.'
'No, I didn't. I wouldn't even pick up a book that didn't have a title on its cover or spine. There is nothing about it that would attract me.'

Now I've bought things before, put them away and forgotten about them but a memory - however vague - has always been triggered on coming across them again. But this book, A Cynic's Lexicon, nope, complete blank.

A quote at random: Innocence ends when one is stripped of the delusion that one likes oneself. (Joan Didion)

5 comments:

Puss-in-Boots said...

A Cynic's Lexicon, eh? There's enough cynicism in the world without writing a book about it...although if it's tongue in cheek, I imagine it could be rather funny.

No, there's no way I'd by a book without a cover either. Maybe it was left by a visitor...

Puss-in-Boots said...

PS: Can't read, can't spell

Leslie: said...

maybe it was a "plant" by someone who thought you're cynical. not moi, for sure!

Liz Hinds said...

It's a book of quotes, Robyn, mostly from people I've never heard of!

Well, no-one's owning up, leslie!

Mauigirl said...

Very interesting, things like that happen to me too. It always creeps me out because I think "uh, oh - am I losing my mind?"

I bet it has some great quotes though.