Tuesday, December 11, 2007

An eventful morning

Driving to work this morning, with the blower on full blast to clear the windscreen, I realised again that when there's a lot of noise, I can't see properly. It was the same when the children were younger and played loud raucous music in the car.

At work, I found three emails waiting for me from my boss (who's been on holiday for a week). In each email she asked me if I'd done something she'd asked me to; my answer in each case was 'no'. Did I mention that it's my job that's vital, not me?

Then later, on my own in the office, I heard someone come in downstairs. I was expecting that someone to come upstairs but no-one did and it all went quiet. I decided I should check it out, just in case someone was raiding the tuck shop and stealing all the chocolate.

I stomped down the stairs, banging a lot and singing loudly (which in itself is enough to frighten the bravest man). I wanted to give the intruder plenty of opportunity to escape; I didn't want to have to inflict my famous karate kick on anyone.

And it worked. For when I crept into the kitchen, it was empty. As was the rest of the building.

A little while later I again heard someone come in. This time there were footsteps and they were coming up the stairs. I took up my leg-raised karate-kick-prepared pose inside the office and waited.

It was Alun. His ribs are now bruised - from laughing so much.

I might not be much good at admin but I make a great security guard.
xx

3 comments:

Leslie: said...

I'm rolling on the floor laughing out loud ... I can just picture you AND the look on Alun's face!

jmb said...

Maybe you should take George to work and he could chew them with his needle teeth. You would be a formidable combination. Of course you wouldn't get your regular job done but a small price to pay for security.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I think you were ever so brave!