Monday, December 10, 2007

A depressing post

Finally caught up with last week's episode of Cranford. At one point, Miss Maddy (Judi Dench) rolls a ball underneath the bed to check for men. She explains to her young companion that she has always done, since a child, for she has always 'had a horror of hands under the bed'. I know just what she means.

* * * * * * * * *

Writing Christmas cards this afternoon I was overtaken by a sense of maudlin.

When I was a child, my great-grandmother lived with us. Hers was a large family and they all gathered at our house for Christmas parties. We children came in varying ages and the group I belonged to consisted, in descending age order, of Sue, Spencer, Howard, Lynne, me and John. Sue, Spencer and and Howard all died of cancer before they reached fifty.

When Howard died, Lynne phoned me (we hadn't been in touch with each other for some time for no particular reason). Neither of us said it but I think she just wanted reassurance that I was still alive. Obviously she knew that I was but she - and I - both needed some sort of normality in the face of such awfulness. If that makes any sense.

And it hit me again when looking at my Christmas card list, probably partly because we've had a card from the parents of my friend who died on Christmas Eve about 10 years ago. She was 39. Cancer again.

I knew I shouldn't have written this post.

I need a cuddle from George.
xx

8 comments:

Maddy said...

I think it's always the coincidence of events that become linked with anniversaries and holidays. Go hunt out that hug.
Best wishes

This is my calling card or link"Whittereronautism"until blogger comments get themselves sorted out.

Puss-in-Boots said...

Yes, it sometimes happens that when we make out our Christmas cards, we remember the past. I think it's the time of year...Christmas is especially family and friends.

Have two cuddles.

Anonymous said...

((hugs)). It hits me more at Christmas that my best friend is'nt here. We would always meet up do our Christmas shopping together.

Now get a cuddle from George :0)

Anonymous said...

What a lot of sad events... life is hard isn't it?

I watched Cranford last night - it is utterly brilliant.

James Higham said...

Stop the cards - stop the depression.

Leslie: said...

This is the hardest time of the year for most people because everything is supposed to be happy and cheerful and family comes together. But for most of us, it is the time when we reminisce and especially miss those loved ones who've gone on before us. This year will be the first Christmas without both my parents - Dad passed on Sept 21, Mom's been gone 5 years) and I'm feeling it. You get your hugs from George and I'll get mine from my little grandson and we'll get through it.

Liz Hinds said...

I've had lots of George cuddles and am feeling much better now, thank you all!

As for Cranford, well, how sad that was that? Miss Mattie's misfortune? Bless.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Oh, liz, I really do know how you feel. I'm sure George helped - and here's a cuddle from Sicily too.