Thursday, November 22, 2007

Radio and television

There's phrase that ladies of a certain age use a lot: it's my hormones. This morning, muttering to myself about something, I said, 'It's my cobwebs.' Cobwebs?!!! Now that must be down to my hormones. Or insanity.

I heard part of a programme on Radio 4 yesterday about insanity and the effect of the moon. It used to be thought that lunatics were affected by a full moon. Over the years loads of studies have been done, fairly inconclusively, although there were a couple of interesting theories mentioned.

a) Epileptics were treated as lunatics and kept in asylums that tended to be built away from the rest of humanity. Without electricity, nights in gloomy asylums would have been very dark so nights with a full moon would have been exceptionally bright. Epileptics can be affected by light so it's possible that this did cause fits.
b) The moon has an effect on tides. The human body is largely comprised of water, thus it's possible that the increased pull of the full moon had something to do with it.

The second one is less likely admittedly. But I think, although I only heard part of the report, that the most recent and extensive research showed that 34% of 'mad moments' happened when the moon was at its fullest. So not conclusive but a hint that it might be involved.

But I only heard this in bits. I bet you love it when I tell you about things I heard on the radio as I only ever get half the story.

But I did get the full story in The Archers. They're doing their bit of pro-turkey propaganda. It is safe to eat turkey at Christmas in spite of bird flu. Every year, Eddie Grundy, the struggling rapscallion of the show, raises turkeys and relies on their sale for a large part of his income. (Along with the sale of stolen holly and mistletoe.) (And poached rabbit.) This year his orders are at a much lower level than is normal for this time. He fears it could be a hard Christmas for the family. Go and order your turkey now! Rural livelihoods are in danger!

And I haven't mentioned Cranford. BBC's adaptation of Mrs Gaskell's novel began on Sunday evening. I haven't read the book and suspect that it would be rather too detailed for my taste - which is unfair and I should check it out properly - but judging by the first episode, this drama is going to be wonderful. Full of the best of British actors, it was just fantastic, detailing the nuances of pernickety etiquette-led lives of small town women with nothing to do. But women who will turn round and defy etiquette in favour of compassion. Brilliant.

Just to finish off I'll mention Grey's Anatomy. Husband bought the second series on DVD for my birthday and I settled down last night with George to watch one episode: it became two. Wonderful show again. I am the least hospital-drama-inclined person you could hope to meet, susceptible as I am to fainting at the sight of - or thought - of blood, and to hypochondria, but some of the incidents are so far-fetched as to be beyond even my imagination.

Last night there had been a train crash and two people were brought in held together by a steel pole that had gone right through both their middles. They sat face to face, skewered together, on the stretcher. It looked funny, especially as they were both joking, numbed by shock and a pole through the spine, but it had a tremendously moving ending. And then there was the pregnant man ... It's not a comedy but it has a lot of West Wing about its style, pace, humour and drama. Not to mention dishy doctors.

11 comments:

Anna said...

Ooh, I am looking forward to Cranford. I recorded it and am even more anticipative (?) hearing all these good things. I did see Judi Dench, and I am a big fan of anything she's in.

Anonymous said...

full moon does really effect children with A.S Its full moontonight & I really know it!!!

Gledwood said...

I watch the Archers every day... what am I saying it comes in through my ears haha!

Well... o yeah!

I found out about switchover for you.

It is at the bottom of my today's post. Both the official switchover for wales site and the freeview site links are in pink as per normal

;->...

mdmhvonpa said...

lunatics = Lunar Tics ... yep. Did you know that Ben Franklin was a big fan of 'Moon Baths'? Lunatic indeed!

Leslie: said...

I'm also a fan of Grey's Anatomy, but of course we're into the 4th season here now. Don't give up on it - it's a fab show. Also, we're now enjoying The Tudors - LOVE it! especially Jonathan Rhy Meyers - oh to be younger - he just makes me swoon (imagine an old lady like me) lol

Wonder who'll go crazy tonight.

jmb said...

Let me tell you when I worked in the hospital and it was particularly crazy we always said, "It must be a full moon tonight." Ask any ER and it's the same story. All the crazy thing happen on full moon.

I love Grey's Anatomy too, except medically it's terrible but who cares?

Anonymous said...

I have to say I really liked Cranford as well... maybe we are getting old?

Liz Hinds said...

George just deleted all my comments!

Liz Hinds said...

And now he's eating my scarf.

Judi Dench doesn't have the star part; there isn't a leading lady as such.

4kids, mdm, jmb, the NY cop whose autiobiography I ghost-wrote said there was always more trouble on the streets on full moons.

mdm, what's a moon bath?

Gleds, Swansea has its very own transmitter!

Leslie, you're not old! And neither am I. You speak for yourself, Mutley!

Liz Hinds said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Interesting about the moon and epileptics. You should try "Cranford": it's charming and not nearly as detailed as some of Mrs G's other books: in fact, I gather they have "padded out" the series [which I so want to see!] You've reminded me I need to get my MP3 thingy working, for The Archers.