Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Isn't blogging wonderful?

Last week mdm sent me a link directing me to a Fox news site. On there was the story of an American fighter plane lost during world war 2.

Apparently the Lockheed-P38 Lightning crashed when its engines cut out while taking part in secret exercises. The pilot survived only to go missing in action three months later in Africa.

The plane has been buried by sand ever since but surfaced briefly in July and was spotted by beach visitors who reported it. The full story can be found here (the BBC report) or here (Fox News).

Members of The International Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery (Tighar) have visited the site and hope to recover what they've dubbed The Maid of Harlech. It's believed to be the only P-38 Lightning in its original condition.

And I wouldn't have known about this going on in my country if a blogger in America hadn't told me.

5 comments:

mdmhvonpa said...

Remember, your state secrets are not my state secrets! :D

Anonymous said...

Where's George? ;0)

Furtheron said...

And now I know about it and wouldn't have either...

Anna said...

No George today?

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Amazing.