Wednesday, November 14, 2007

And finally

On Friday evening we saw Spamalot, which we thoroughly enjoyed. Beforehand we were treated to a taxi ride with a well-informed driver. He pointed out to us the site of what will be No 1 Knightsbridge. The block of flats that will be there is barely taking shape and the top penthouse, our taxi driver told us, has already been sold for £85,000,000.









The fireworks display that the Lord Mayor arranged just for my birthday was spectacular. Launched from a barge in the middle of the Thames, the fireworks had me oohing and aahing to my heart's delight.






Sunday evening Husband took us to the Blue Elephant, a posh Thai restaurant that he'd previously visited nearly 20 years earlier. On that occasion Richard Branson was also eating there. I don't think anyone famous was there on Sunday but it was a bit hard to tell in amidst the jungle. Apart from the papaya - smelled like cheesy feet - and the green jelly - just vile - it was all very delicious.



As I said, before we left we visited the old churchyard wherein George Vancouver was buried. While we were searching for his grave we found many belonging to Lords and Ladies, including a Marchioness of Queensberry, but I was delighted to find this very old tombstone. I couldn't read what it said but I like to think it was a pirate's final earthly resting place.
xx

6 comments:

Leslie: said...

Hi Liz, oh you took me back to London and Hampton Court. I want to go and visit there again as I didn't have time to do the maze. Isn't that clock amazing? And did you know that the man who designed the gardens at Hampton Court also designed the gardens at Versailles. Glad the fireworks were to your satisfaction! lol Next time I know I'm coming over your direction, I'll let you know so we can meet. My friend Jane lives in Newport and my friend Marion was born in Cardiff but now lives in Andover. And same goes if you come west to Vancouver. I live about 1/2 hour south of jmb, in a suburb of Vancouver.

Anonymous said...

Not a pirate.
Skull and Crossbones are Freemasons' gravestones.

Liz Hinds said...

I will be over to visit later, leslie!

Oh, Stu, how disappointing.

Anonymous said...

I love the photos :0) Looks like you've had a wonderful time :0)

I was hoping it was a priate gravestone too!

jmb said...

Obviously a very successful weekend all around!
I love old cemetaries. Ours are too new here to be really interesting.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Shucks and I wanted that penthouse! Very kind of the LM to lay on the foreworks for you, Liz. What a fascinating tombstone.