Friday, August 24, 2007

The cupboard is bare ... except for garlic

The bit of garden I am trying to turn into a cottage garden is where Husband used to grow courgettes and buried the cat. He was never very found of the cat but now I see that he must have suspected poor Toby of being of sinister character. I thought I had cleared the earth quite convincingly before planting but everywhere I look now I see garlic shooting up. Husband must have thought Toby would come back as a vampire.

But you see I am such a poor gardener that I don't even know about hoeing: does it get rid of the weeds or are you supposed to pick them up by hand as well? Will turning them back into the ground allow them to grow again? But I suppose it is just a constant battle until one of you - probably me - gives up.

No raspberries this year either. Not unless they're very late fruiting.

* * * * * * * * * *

Have you noticed that when you do a word verification it always includes at least one of the more obscure letters? And the majority of the letters in the word are on the left side of the keyboard? Does it assume that robotic spammers are right-handed?

* * * * * * * * * *

On the radio yesterday was a report about a study that had been carried out. Apparently people with breathing difficulties who don't have to be taken too far to hospital get on better than people with breathing difficulties who do have to be taken a long way to hospital. And researchers get funding for this.

* * * * * * * * * *

Oh, yes, I nearly forgot. I was invited out yesterday by a man called Michel le Blanc with a sexy French accent. Shall I tell you any more or keep you on tenter'ooks? (Read with French accent)

* * * * * * * * *

I don't know what I'm having for tea.

I had boiled eggs for lunch. Yes, just boiled eggs, no soldiers. And raw Frosties. I still haven't been to the shop so goodness knows what delightful concoction I'll be eating this evening.

Oh, cranes, I remember.

xx

5 comments:

Clare said...

I also had boiled eggs (no soldiers, bread was defrosting) for lunch. We must be psychically linked. Is it psychically? Psychicly? Oh help.

(two of my WV letters (xzoayj) are right sided keys, the rest are left...)

mdmhvonpa said...

Vampire cat indeed! Men, as a general rule, are entirely uninterested in cats for some odd reason. I suppose the dog pack suits us much to well.

Elsie said...

Son tells me that if you turn the weeds over and are certain that all of the leaves are completely buried that they'll stop growing due to lack of sun. No photosynthesis, no growth. Sounds reasonable, but then how do they just show up year after year?

I almost always have to type in the word verification twice. The first time the letters are so squished together that I'm never really sure what they are, but the second time they're usually far enough apart to differentiate.

Liz Hinds said...

Clare, I've looked at all three versions and have no idea which one is right now! psychicly - sounds right but doesn't look it.

mdm, I spent more time with our dog but he loved Husband more - something to do with the dominant pack leader I guess.

Elsie, it does seem logical that burying would do that but it would probably have to be a really really deep burial for it to be final. And then another little so'n'so would spring up!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I must look more carefully at the word verif! Half the time I can hardly see it. Tell all about the Frenchman!