Thursday, July 05, 2007

Try telling Harry Potter there's no such thing as dragons

Last night Younger Son was telling me that he and friend had been out walking in the woods when they'd come across a caged enclosure. Younger Son decided it was to keep chickenraptors in, and he and his friend embarked on a chickenraptor hunt.

YS is 22; I am so pleased he can still hunt for chickenraptors.


A couple of months ago I took a 4-year-old for a walk. As we entered the woods, I said, 'Let's have an adventure! let's go a dragon hunt!'

He looked at me pityingly and said, 'Dragons aren't real.'

'Oh. Okay... what about hippopotamuses then?!'


He finally agreed to search for stick snakes.
Even though I have bought him books since he was a baby, he's not a story-lover. He's turned me down every time - even when he's had nothing else to do - when I've suggested reading a story to him. I suppose the fact that his parents aren't readers doesn't help, but it's so sad and limiting to a child's imagination.
Younger Son has laid first claim to the new Harry Potter book that comes out in 15 days and counting. He told me he has been waiting for this book for years. He can't wait to read it but he doesn't want to read it either - because that's the end. (I felt like that about West Wing Season 7.)
He has some very detailed theories about how HP will end. I will have to re-read book 6 again to remind myself of what's what. When YS has finished it - for the millionth time - that is.


9 comments:

Anna said...

When does no5 come out in the cinema? I read the last few chapters of that one last night ready to begin no6 tonight. I think it gets going in no6 again, doesn't it? I know how YS feels; it will be a shame to come to the end. What's next for JK?! Tempting to lay around beside the pool in her mansion all day, don't you think?

Anna said...

i mean lounge

Anna said...

Also, did he actually find out what was kept in the cage? Is that not slightly worrying?

Nina said...

Hi Liz, don't worry, I just want to correct the impression about the Philippines ;) I hope I didn't sound so rude.

=) nina

Lee said...

I agree with you, Liz. I find it sad that a child's imagination is stifled. And I'm a huge believer of children reading

Some fantasy is good for us all.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I felt like that about WW7 too so I sympathise with YS.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I wonder if Ruari on the Archers believes in dragons? What do you think of the latest storyline, Liz? I think I've had enough of "St Jennifer" myself.

Puss-in-Boots said...

Grrrr, blogger is acting up again. "Eating" my comments.

I can't wait for HP7 to come out. I think it's sad that a four-year-old is not interested in stories. Hard to understand, isn't it?

MissKris said...

Your son and my daughter are like-minded when it comes to Harry Potter. She's almost 31 and has loved them all...keeps telling me I've GOT to read them but they don't interest me in the least, just like the "Lord of the Rings" books never intrigued me either. Not my cup of tea, I guess you could say. And to think the lady who wrote the Potter books used to be a welfare mum. There's hope for us yet, Liz!!!