Wednesday, July 25, 2007

One for the bikers

Harley-Davidson is after the girls.

At a dealer convention in Tennessee, a marketing consultant told her audience how to attract the girls.

"Neatly groomed hair is a good start. Always maintain eye contact. Keep those handshakes firm, but not too firm. Clean the bathrooms. Set up a play area for kids. And do not forget the little things that can help draw in passers-by. Put a plant out there to say you are female-friendly," she said.

Harley-Davidson is making a real effort to win female customers by adjusting the dimensions of bikes - making them closer to the ground for little legs - and making the seat softer - for delicate bottoms. Apparently they've even adapted the skull emblem to include wings and flowers (although I couldn't find any mention of that on the Harley site).

And they're advertising in women's magazines with an image of a female biker using the chrome plating on a bike for a mirror to apply mascara. Because that's what girls do.

I'm not a biker but I think they'd need to make the bikes not only smaller but lighter. I've seen plenty of bikes and I wouldn't fancy holding one between my legs.
xx

5 comments:

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I'd probably use the chrome plating to do my make-up, too, if I were a biker!

Anonymous said...

A typical Hardly-Ableson can weigh upward of 300 kg.

The new Triumph 675 Street Triple
weighs about 190kg fully tanked.

The KTM 690 weighs only 165 Kg fully tanked (but is still too tall for a girl).

If you go second hand, try a Yamaha SRZ660, they are small and light, it's like riding a bicycle.

My wife's choice was a Yamaha XV535. Chopper look, cardan drive, low seat, and better brakes than a a Hardly Ableson (but what hasn't?)

Ole Phat Stu
2001 FJR1300
and a 1971 CB750 Oldtimer.

DeeJay said...

But the low slung harleys that you describe for 'ladies' have such a low centre of gravity you don't notice the weight - not like my VFR which at about 220kg really gets heavy at low speed.

Furtheron said...

I've always loved bikes... from a far. When 15/16 I wanted a Norton Commando. About 5 years back toward the end of my wilderness years I was going to go get a licence and then a Harley. Madness I'd have lasted about 2 weeks I reckon state I was in then. Thankfully sense prevailed.

I loved the plant reference - made me chuckle. "Get a plant quick we'll look girl friendly!" I just think that kind of pigeonholing so funny.

River said...

I've always loved Harleys, never owned one. I did used to ride a bike, well more a scooter really. When I was 16-19 and only weighed about 6 stone I had a suzuki 50cc that ran for almost a fortnight on about 30 cents worth of petrol. Then I got married and sold the bike when I was too pregnant to sit comfortably on it. Been riding buses ever since.