Tuesday, July 03, 2007

I notice Blogger has added new languages to its list. With everything from Catalan to something unpronounceable, there are are now about 38 languages available. But not Welsh.

It's the same in every drop down list of countries: Wales is a non-country as far as the rest of the world is concerned. Yes, we're part of the UK but if asked which country I live in, the answer is Wales.


I can appreciate that the number of bloggers wanting to write in Welsh is probably lower than those wanting to write in Lithuanian but I can see no excuse for ignoring us as a nation when it comes to our country. It's just not polite!


6 comments:

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

It's discrimination! Remember when they left us off the European map?

Liz Hinds said...

Oh, yes! I had forgotten that!

Crushed said...

I suspect Gaelic isn't there either.

There was an EU description of Wales back in the nineties which said 'Region of england, Capital; Bristol.

I kid ye not.

Lee said...

Is Strine there?

Clare said...

When we were in TUnisia we were hassled a lot in markets. They used to shout out "Eenglish? Lovely Eenglish, come to buy my lovely things". We were wandering around one day and they shouted it at some girls in front of us..."Ennglish??...etc". To which the girls replied "SCOTTISH!!!". I imagine its the same level of frustration!!

Lord Nazh said...

Time to start becoming a country :)

I'd say Blogger is wanting to get languages of countries in first.