Friday, June 22, 2007

Rainy days and Fridays

It's a wet grey day here today reminding me of what was probably the most depressing wedding I ever attended.

It was wet summer's day then, and the wedding ceremony was held in an open-sided tent on the lawn of an hotel. In my sleeveless summer dress, with the wind whipping through the tent, my goose-pimples had goose-pimples.

The couple had written their own vows, which included the promise to try and stay friends should they split up. Not a hopeful way to start married life.

But the best bit (or worst) came in the reception. That was indoors in a small dark room that, with the rain outside and the crowd inside, was humid and muggy. The waiter, who was serving the main course of chicken in a sauce, was just putting mine on my plate when a drip of sweat rolled down his nose and dripped off the end, right into the serving dish of chicken.
I don't think anyone else noticed and - as I'd had mine! - and I was worried that he might get sacked, I didn't say anything. Do you think I should have done?!

3 comments:

lady macleod said...

I really think at that point plans to leave graciously and find a nice cafe' au lait would be in order.

Gattina said...

That really made me laugh, but I think even I with my big mouth wouldn't have said anything because it was just an unfortunate incident ! BTW did you eat the chicken ?

Ruthie said...

"which included the promise to try and stay friends should they split up. Not a hopeful way to start married life."

That's awful.