Saturday, May 05, 2007

Sounds of the Sixties

There's been a lot of fuss recently about television phone-in competitions. I think various companies are accused of de-frauding the public by taking their money when a winner has already been chosen.

The fact that the question the great British public has to answer to enter one of these competitions wouldn't strain the brain cells of a fish with amnesia is irrelevant apparently.But thank goodness that's not always the case.

Between 8 and 10 am on Saturday mornings there is a Radio 2 show called Sounds of the Sixties, presented by Brian Matthews. Now this is for your real 60s's enthusiasts. We're talking the Beatles, yes, but a track by them you've never heard. Impossible? Just listen in and you'll see.

Each week Brian Matthews runs a competition to win a relevant CD collection or compilation; this week the focus was on Stax (?) music. None of the, 'Listen carefully, because I'm going to give you the answer and then ask you the question' nonsense here. There were three questions, one of which asked who duetted with Carla Thomas on the 1967 hit single Tramp?

Answers on a postcard or a stuck-down envelope, please. That's what Brian said. It's like stepping back in time.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

For a somewhat cynical view, dressed as fiction, of reality pop shows, read Chart Throb by Ben Elton. I didn't find it at all gripping or well-written BUT it did make me think. I'd already given up watching X-Factor - now I know why!

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your You Tube post. Very nice. You cold have included one good looking female nudist in it. Strictly for atmosphere, if you know what I mean.

James Higham said...

And the answer to that particular question is, Liz?

Liz Hinds said...

Otis Redding.

I was hoping you would tell me, James.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Oh, I wish I could listen to that programme over here!

Liz Hinds said...

Steve, Husband informs me that in the slide show, on the photo of the camels, if you look to 11 o'clock from the camels, you will see a naked lady. Me, I was just looking at the camels!

Welshcakes, can't you get it on the net?