Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Past my best-by date

For those who wonder how I can have written so many posts this one should give you a clue: it is typical waffle.

Yesterday afternoon, having spent the entire afternoon writing previously-mentioned short story, when tea time came, it was a case of 'what's in the freezer, I wonder?'

The answer was 'not a lot.' Apart from ice cream, peas and chillis, the best I could come up with was a packet of chicken pieces. A rummage in the pantry led me to some jars I'd bought for just such an emergency. I dusted the top of the first one and discovered its sell-by date was April 2004. The other two weren't so bad: they were January 2005.

Scrapping the chicken idea, I moved on to the pantry itself. A tin of corned beef and baked potatoes. That would do. Except the corned beef was 18 months out of date and only one of the potatoes wasn't mouldy.

I really must sort out the pantry.

7 comments:

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

It's not waffle, Liz. It's something we can all identify with and you put it into words for us. That's part of what makes your blog so readable.

Mauigirl said...

LOL, Liz, your pantry and freezer sound just like mine. I keep things in the fridge until they reach their date by which they must be used or frozen. Then I freeze them. Then I leave them there until they've been there long enough that I won't feel guilty throwing them out.

Anonymous said...

aAaah, but the wine cellar, the wine-cellar!

Lee said...

lol I'm scared to look in the back of my pantry! God knows what lives in there! ;)

Furtheron said...

I didn't know you lived in our house... :-)

When we re-did the kitchen a couple of years ago we found some tins with no sell by dates but with prices that had 1/2p still on them !!!

Liz Hinds said...

Thank you, welshcakes, for this and all your encouraging and supportive comments.

Maui, I use the same principle in work, 'filing' things in my tray until they're out of date and I can throw them away with no compunction.

Sadly, dr stu, the wine cellar is the one area that has a quick turn-round!

Lee, if it's like mine, spiders.

Furtheron, I'm sure some things keep in tins for ever. Like war-time stocks ...

The worrying thing was that the corned beef had the date Jan 2006 on it, and my first thought was, 'well, that's only a few months out of date,' before I remembered it's 2007.

Anonymous said...

Those canned goods look so good when one is hungry while shopping. wonder why we don't get around to opening them. Happens to us also.