Monday, May 21, 2007

A load of balls

I was in church yesterday. You're probably thinking, yes, well, you would be what with you being a Christian and it being Sunday, but it is something of an unusual occurrence. I'm either away or in prison or in bed most Sundays.

So, anyway, the speaker, Steve, illustrated his talk with a bag full of balls. He threw them to a hand-picked volunteer who was supposed to keep hold of them. He managed for a time and then they started coming faster and he began dropping his balls.

Apart from providing entertainment for all those of us who were breathing a sigh of relief that we weren't the ones chosen to volunteer, it proved to be a good illustration of life. How we can't move on and face new challenges if we're hanging on to things way past the time when we should have put them down. Whether that's emotional memories, regrets or hauntings that need dealing with - or that have been dealt with but we keep clinging on - or physical ties.
I suppose he was talking in a moving-on-with-God sense but I'm choosing to put it into practice in my life generally.

4 comments:

Mauigirl said...

Interesting concept for the sermon of the day - and very true!

Furtheron said...

Very very apt for me at the moment. I'm really struggling to accept the inevitable - I know that this is because I'm fight for what I want and believe is due to me - what arrogance, I due and owed nothing by the world or God. I think He is gently trying to take me down a peg or two until I final admit to "thy will be done not mine."

Liz Hinds said...

I know that feeling, Furtheron. I have to have the fall sometimes before I accept the inevitable. Much less painful the other way though ... in the long run.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

A good illustration of how life is, as you say. I do think "letting go" is the hardest thing. I love your humour in this post.