Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Death by association

In an attempt to escape profundity and resume normal service, here's a sweepstake for you.
At the wedding, after his lovely and touching speech, Elder Son presented both mums with potted orchids. As he said, 'Twenty-five years of parenting rewarded by a £5 plant!' (At which point, the bride tugged his sleeve and gave him a look; no doubt the first of many in their married life!)

I have mine in the study with me; you can see how beautiful and healthy it looks. Husband has said that he will care for it but knowing the way that even being in the same room as me can kill a plant, what chance does this poor orchid have?
I will be generous and give it three months; anyone else want to have a guess?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have more faith in you than 3 months. I say 3 and 1/2 months.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I'm hopeless with plants, Liz! Er - 4 months?

Shirley said...

I'm going for 6 months!

MaryB said...

Is this a sweepstakes? What do we get if we win? The dead orchid? OK, then, um. I say it'll have met its Maker by August 1. (If I win, just bury it out back and I'll claim it next time I'm in Wales.)

Lee said...

I think this one will last longer, Liz...just don't kill it with kindness. Orchids are much tougher than you think.

Find out what orchid it is...do a search on how to care for it and follow the instructions...you should be fine...and so should the orchid.

Furtheron said...

My wife is the same - a colleague bought her a plant for her birthday last month. I looked at it last night - not looking good.

On that basis then - 6 weeks. Sorry! :-)

Elsie said...

I think this one's a keeper, until Christmas that is.

Clare said...

4 and a half months! And good luck to you!

Liz Hinds said...

Righto, I shall keep you informed of its progress. It's looking at me at the moment and it's rather unnerving.

Anna said...

I read the orchid instructions at a plant-house yesterday. You should water by immersing the pot in tepid (preferably rain) water, allow the roots to spill over the sides of the pot, cut off the flower spikes when blooms are finished, and feed occasionally with orchid food. Not hard at all... I didn't buy one...