Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Caw said the crow

I was in work alone this morning. As it's half-term Alun is on holiday and there are no classes on. I work upstairs in the office and downstairs are the large hall and several rooms. At one end of the hall is the noticeboard and I was pinning up some new posters this morning when there was a banging noise from the other end of the hall.

I looked around, thinking something must have fallen - although why it would have done I don't know - and there was nothing there. I carried on pinning. The crashing clattering came again. It sounded almost like ... someone breaking in! And there was me, all on my ownsome with just a packet of push pins with which to defend myself.


I courageously crept down the hall - along the wall furthest away from the noise. There it was again! It was getting closer. Aaahh!


And then I saw it. There, banging on the window, was a huge black Siberian hooded raven! Which as you know are infamous for eating small dogs and daffodils. It was knocking so hard the top window was rattling. I only had time to see the glint in its eye before I turned and ran away upstairs.
* * * * * * * * * * * *
Regarding responses to 9/11, I can't help thinking that Springsteen's The Rising was an altogether better one than George W's.
xxx

6 comments:

MaryB said...

The raven wasn't screeching "Nevermore!" was he? If so, you're trapped in an Edgar Allan Poe poem - get out, quick! Otherwise, you're just caught in a Heckle and Jeckle cartoon.

Ruthie said...

Sounds like a good time to read some Edgar Allan Poe :)

Ruthie said...

I think Mary and I are on the same wavelength!

One minute apart!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

You were brave to go and look ! And clever to know what bird it was!

Mauigirl said...

That must have been a surprise! Those ravens can be big!

Lee said...

You sure it wasn't one of Corn Dog's crows, Liz?